Jean Nouvel is a French architect 2008 winner of the Pritzker architecture Prize, considered the equivalent of the Nobel prize in this discipline.
Born in August 1945 in the Lot-et-Garonne, Jean Nouvel, is today at the head of a team of 150 employees in its offices in Paris but also in Spain, Switzerland and Italy. Long associated with other architects since the 1970s, he founded his own workshop in 1994 (sales 20145 : € 37.5 million). The Institute of the arab World, inaugurated in 1987 in Paris, was the first building to give it an international reputation. In 2017, are still in course of construction projects as varied as the national Museum of Qatar or of the housing of a social nature in Nice and Marseille.
Jean Nouvel, who likes to combine metal and glass in his creations refuse to be attached to a school and explains that each project is ” new “.
– 2015 : the Philharmonie de Paris, Parc de la Villette.
– 2011 : Extension of the national Museum center of art Queen Sophia in Madrid.
– 2010 : New Ferrari factory in Maranello, Italy.
– 2008 : Construction of the Tower 53W53, a building of 75 floors in New York. Designs the Museum of the Louvre Abu Dhabi, the United Arab Emirates.
– 2006 : Inauguration of the Musée du Quai Branly in Paris.
– 1999 : Inauguration of the Palace of Culture of Lucerne (Switzerland).
– 1994 : Achieves the Cartier Foundation in Paris. Founded his own workshop.
– 1993 : Designs for the renovation of the Lyon Opera.
– 1981 : Selected with with Architecture Studio to design the Institute of the arab World.
– 1978 : Founded the Biennale of Architecture in Paris.
– 1976 : Performs the medical and surgical center of the Val-Notre-Dame in Bezons.
– 1975 : Co-organizer of the counter-international competition for the development of les halles in Paris.
– 1970 : Founded his first agency in association with François Seigneur.
The major projects of his career
2015. In a commentary posted on the website of his agency, Jean Nouvel explains why he did not attend the inauguration of the Philharmonie de Paris. “The crisis justifies all the sacrifices which the convocation of a cost killer, who with the director general of the Philharmonie will make decisions economically disastrous. In the name of sacrifice, they will make the sacrifice of sacrifice : the sacrifice of savings by lengthening the time and cost. Damage to the work, multiply, Madame Aurélie Filippetti, in which they are displayed, replied : “people will find it very well anyway “, judgment of the minister of culture, minister of architecture, minister of the authors in front of an author and architect violated. New culture Sam Just… ” The man of the art, enjoys a reputation now world, his achievements along all the continents, but he has kept his frankness. This is not the first time it made front policies. Already in 1994, the government led by Edouard Balladur, had retoqué ultimately the project of Grand Stade in Saint-Denis, Jean Nouvel when he was chosen at the end of the contest.
The architect is not cut off from the world around him. In march 2017, in a column published by The World, the explicit title, ” To save the suburbs, it is necessary to contain urban expansion “, he denounces urban planning to the ” Ubu ” and suggests the creation of homes for all and a better delineation between urban and rural.
Less to worry about in the budget in the Persian Gulf, where Jean Nouvel, at the turn of the new millennium, multiplies the daring techniques and aesthetic. This does not prevent it from regularly returning to the country to participate in the creation or renovation of buildings of the Périgord.
But the French decision-makers, however, have learned to deal with him. At the end of may, the first stone of one of its projects, the oldest has been asked : the towers Duo, in the 13th arrondissement of Paris, two skyscrapers unbalanced and unhinged high of 180 and 122 meters. “We are going to deliver that in four years, a set of 120.000 m2, which will contribute to the identity of Paris and be a witness of the architecture of the Xxi century” was pleased with the architect in the JDD. Better, a draft 30-year-old, a student residence in Defence, is also on track…
Studies and awards
– 2010 : Officer in the Order of the Legion of Honor.
– 2008 : Winner of the Pritzker Prize.
– 2001 : a Retrospective of his work at the Centre Pompidou.
– 2000 : Golden Lion at the Venice Biennale.
– 1997 : Commander of the Order of Arts and Letters.
– 1972 : Graduate of the Ecole nationale supérieure des Beaux-Arts in Paris.
– 1966 : Graduate of the École des Beaux-Arts de Bordeaux.