Carbon monoxide has killed 13 people since January 2017




Each year, thousands of people are poisoned due to carbon monoxide exposure. Since January of 2017, already 13 people have succumbed to. To limit the risks, however, there are gestures preventive, mandatory or not. The cleaning of the boiler to the installation of sensors, through the sweeping of the chimney.
13, it is the number of people who died as a result of exposure to carbon monoxide, out of a total of 256 incidents of poisoning from January 2017. Each year, not less than 3500 individuals who are the victims according to the National Institute for public Health surveillance.

 

The origin of these deaths: a boiler or water heater to be defective, open fireplaces, use a barbecue grill or generator indoors, motor vehicles in garages that are used in rooms that are poorly ventilated… This poisoning is even more dangerous in that it is difficult to detect because of the nature colorless and odorless gas.

 

Individuals subject to obligations

 

A danger well known, generally includes a wide range of solutions and several approaches are necessary to individuals. As maintain annually the boiler when its power is between 4 and 400 kilowatts. Whether it is boilers, oil-fired, gas, wood, coal, multifuel. Or to sweep the chimney at least once a year to remove soot and deposits from the duct. It is the tenant that’s responsible, with the exception of a lease that stipulates that this obligation is the responsibility of the owner of the accommodation.

 

Detection systems
read also

  • Recall of a model of a carbon monoxide detector failed

 

Detectors can also come to reinforce the means of combating the poisoning of carbon monoxide. However, this facility remains optional, unlike smoke detectors. A situation that professionals lament. Even if Paul Howley, Director France, Ei Electronics says : “It is difficult to compel individuals to install detectors. It is preferable that people are in a voluntary approach rather than obligation,” where the importance of prevention according to him.
If you opt for this solution, some points should be respected. “We train installers, but it is possible to install them yourself. However, it is necessary to carefully follow the instructions. If the combustion device is located in the same room as the detector, the latter must be placed on the wall and in the ideal on the ceiling. Carbon monoxide is lightweight and will first go up with the hot air, so it will be better taken up in height.”, advance Paul Howley. If the device is installed in another room as the combustion device, it should be at head height.

 

These small enclosures, analysing the air continuously and keep abreast of the occupants. Some models may, for example, include a LCD screen which displays the rate of monoxide in the air. In case of danger, an alarm is triggered. “If the fuel-burning appliance is away from the living room, the occupants may not hear the alarm. To remedy this, there are networking solutions that connect the detector to a different alarm by radio frequency, to effectively prevent an emanation of carbon monoxide “, continues Paul Howley. This sound signal is difficult to ignore, since these small devices can reach a whopping 85 dB. What to be warned !




Leave a Reply